You are here: Home | ourspaces | our spaces

our spaces

Blackfriars' Hall


Blackfriars' Hall

Blackfriars' Hall can accommodate up to 200 diners for a formal banquet, or for a wedding ceremony, acoustic concert or meeting. At the east end is a raised stage and for smaller events the hall can be realigned with a smaller stage on the north side to create a more intimate atmosphere. A public address system is available for speech reinforcement, and an induction loop fitted for those with hearing difficulties. There are power, microphone and input sockets around the hall aswell as 63 amp three phase supply and further presentation equipment can be hired to suit the event.

This lofty oak panelled hall adds style and elegance to any event. Around its walls are paintings dating from the 16th century of mayors, sheriffs and benefactors to the city forming an important part of the civic portrait collection. The most impressive is a large portrait of Admiral Lord Nelson by Sir William Beechey, who was a friend of Nelson and a member of the Royal Academy. The picture is thought to be one of the last portraits of Admiral Lord Nelson, painted in 1802, three years before Nelson died. The pictures and decor add a tremendous sense of occassion and history to any event, as appropriate to a conference or book launch as to a wedding or banquet.

At the east end of the hall is a seven light window dating back from mid- 14th century. The hall was named after the Dominican order known for their black habit, which was established in Norwich in 1226. They built the Friary in 1345, largely funded by bequests from citizens of Norwich as the friars lived in relative poverty as part of their beliefs.

As well as being a practical and elegant space in its own right, Blackfriars' Hall is an ideal reception space or sponsor's lounge for larger events that are taking place in St. Andrew's Hall.

Portrait of Admiral Lord Nelson by Lord Beechy

Portrait of Admiral Lord Nelson by Lord Beechy